Topic: analysis and evaluation of nursing theory
Nurses in advanced roles have increased responsibility and accountability for their practice. Therefore, it is imperative that these nurses have a solid understanding of how to evaluate nursing theories for their appropriateness and utility.
Pick a nursing theory that you may use in your future role (Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner). Briefly describe the theory and then pick three (3) evaluation criteria questions from the following list and use them to evaluate your chosen theory.
- Is the purpose of the theory clearly identified? What is it?
- Are the major assumptions explained? What are they?
- Are the major concepts clearly defined? What are they?
- Are the major relational statements (propositions) clear? What are they?
- Has the theory been tested? How?
- Has the theory been used in nursing practice, education or leadership? How?