Spa103 week 3 discussion 1 (300 word minimum)
Housing, Independence, Chores, and Marriage–Similar or Different?
Prepare: As you prepare to write this week’s discussion, take a few moments to review the Notas Culturales from your primary text and to consider any additional resources provided in the Instructor Guidance.
- Read¿Dόnde Viven los Españoles? (p. 105).
- Read Las casas verdes (p. 119).
- In the Capítulo 3 Student Activities Manual, read and review SAM 03-54 Los Jόvenes, el Matrimonio y las Casas [Más cultura].
- In the Capítulo 3 Student Activities Manual, read and review SAM 03-56 Los Hombres, las Mujeres y los Quehaceres [Más cultura].
Reflect: Carefully review the questions listed below associated with the cultural readings. When you have reflected on your thoughts for each, you are ready to write your response.
- How do your family traditions compare with the Hispanic traditions described in your reading?
- Do you have friends from other cultures with traditions similar to Hispanic traditions?
- In your community, when do young people usually become independent? With the current economic situation and employment rates, is it easy or difficult to become independent?
- Do you think it’s difficult for young people to become independent in the United States? What about in your city or state? Why or why not?
- In your family, what chores do the men do and what chores do the women do? Is there a fair distribution of workload? Why or why not?
- How are the evolving trends and roles of families changing?
- How does stereotyping impact society? When do people judge others based on gender? How do you support/negate gender roles?
- What do gender roles look like around
- your community?
- your state?
- your country?
- the world?
- How did your childhood shape your view of the world?
Write: Choose one of the topics, and respond to the questions provided. Your response should be at least 300 words in length in order to provide sufficient detail and to demonstrate critical thought with respect to these cultural practices and gifts to society.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts, and respond to at least two of your peers. For one of your responses, choose someone who posted on a topic different from what you selected. Share alternate views, provide personal experiences as they relate to the topic, expand upon ideas, or provide questions to encourage further elaboration of the topic. Each response should be a minimum of 75 words.