Assignment: the struggle for independence
As World War II ended, the people of African and Asian nations found themselves struggling to find social justice and economic growth as they began their quest for independence. In this assignment, you will begin to answer these very questions as you describe one country’s journey during the decolonization period.
To prepare for this assignment:
- consider the nationalist struggles for independence following World War II.
- Consider the changes that the people of Asia and Africa faced. How did they fare after European and Western control was removed? What internal struggles ensued?
- Reflect upon European and Western influences on Asian and African nations.
- Think about what it would be like to live in a nation that was under control of another nation. What would life be like if you did not know the liberty of freedom? What social, economic, and political struggles would you and your nation encounter during this time?
- Choose one of the following:
- One country from Southeast Asia, OR
- One country from Africa, OR
- The country of India
- Describe the path to economic growth, social justice, and eventual independence pursued by this country during the period of decolonization after 1945.
- Support your assertions by making at least 2 references, in proper APA format, to your course readings.