Assignment: angelou ii | Literature homework help
Read chapters 12-21 and answer the following questions:
- Chapter 12 is a difficult chapter to read because of Maya’s rape. What feelings does 8-year-old Maya experience during and after the rape?
- Why does Maya become mute? Why does her mother send her and Bailey back to Stamps?
- Maya describes Stamps as follows: “The barrenness of Stamps was exactly what I wanted, without will or consciousness. […] Into this cocoon I crept” (89). Explain what Stamps represents at that point that St. Louis could not be for her.
- In chapter 15, Angelou relates how she got out of muteness and her relationship with Mrs. Flowers. How did Mrs. Flowers help her? The chapter ends with Momma giving Maya a beating for the words she said. Why did it happen and in what way is it ironic?
- Choose a passage that you thought was particularly well written or spoke to you and explain why you chose this passage.